Monday 11 August 2008

A Lesson in Pain Management - Part 1



Welcome to my blog where I take you through what life is 'really' like living with Fibromyalgia (although I shall cease to call it by that name through the course of this blog). I am writing for the benefit of fellow members of this strange and oddly expanding club and for all those who know/or help to care for someone experiencing this dis-ease.

My intention is to write with humour whenever possible because tackling this dis-ease with a positive frame of mind is the only way to go. As I said to my family at the onset of my illness:

"I don't want sympathy. Sympathy is of no use to me, but I do need you to understand.To understand what I'm up against."


*********************


So let us begin...


"We have a new epilepsy drug that you could try. It's an effective pain killer, but ......"

Dr No2's words trailed off as i raised my eyebrows in angry frustration, all the while cradling my jaw in my hands.

"No, you don't want epilepsy drugs do you?" he said briskly.

(No I don't, I thought to myself but I will have an 'EPI' if I have to sit here any longer in excruciating pain!!!)

"NO! I JUST WANT PAINKILLERS NOW! THE STRONGEST YOU'VE GOT OR JUST GET THE VET AND PUT ME DOWN!!!!" I said as politely as possible. "I've been like this for 5 days now, I can't take it any longer."

"Right, you can have some codeine and then you need to go to the dentist, just to eliminate the possibility of an abscess or infection. Although, examining your gums there is no obvious inflammation, It's more likely to be Temporomandibular Dysfunction."

As Dr No2 launched into the definitive explanation of TMD as opposed to Trigeminal Neuralgia - bless him, very thorough - I nearly passed out from the pain. He noticed my obvious slumping movement and urgently scrawled something in 'Doctor speak' across his prescription pad and gave me leave.


(photo by snapdragon6 for "frou-frou" photography/copyright 2008.)



No comments:

 

Web Site Counters
apparel shopping