Monday 18 August 2008

Catch 22 - Part 1




Why am I writing this blog? I ask myself this question countless times before I actually get started. In short, it's out of sheer frustration. The frustration at the amount of mis-information (some of it seriously irresponsible: see graded exercise. All well and good but would 'you' want to go walking when you wake up EVERY morning feeling like you have just run the London marathon? and just getting down the stairs is a feat of buttock stiffening proportions! As for swimming, I swell up all over as soon as I come into contact with the water!) that is published about Fibromyalgia, the impotency of various elements of the medical profession ( not all of them, just the ones I have come into contact with) and the unholy ignorance and lack of support demonstrated by the Department of Work & Pensions in regard to patient claims. Harsh? Yes, because Fibromyalgia is not part of 'the system' and I am continually banging my head against a brick wall! (the pain is immaterial compared to an average nights non-sleep!).

Dr No1 told me that Fibromyalgia is also known as Gulf War syndrome. If my memory serves me right, those damaged veterans had a hell of a time getting recognition for their health problems. They left one battlefield and then found themselves fighting an entirely new battle. And that is what it feels like, a battle. Fibromyalgia is a genuine ruddy large spanner in the works for thousands of previously go-getting, life-loving individuals. Fortunately, I am a fighter. The British Medical Association have officially recognized this nomansland of a dis-ease, however, there is as yet no single, definitive official line as to the cause or causes. St Barts Hospital; London, Guys Hospital; London and the Fibromyalgia/ME/CFS support groups in the UK are all involved in pioneering research to provide a cure and thank God (many gods, not just 1). But this research doesn't find it's way down to the 'sticks' and I can't afford, literally, to hang around waiting for research findings. I need to get this sorted, fast.
(photo by snapdragon6 for "frou-frou" photography/copyright 2008)

1 comment:

Therapy4help said...

The incorrect move or pressing in the incorrect area can be painful. Why assume the chance? Ascertain somebody who knows their craft and prides oneself in their work. In the long haul, it pays to discover a professional rather than an amateur.

 

Web Site Counters
apparel shopping